top of page
How to use the Forum
If you want to get the full potential of your WinReducerOS experience, being a Forum Member is the best way to :
- ask your questions
- bring help to other users
- report all bugs
- share your experience
- share your ideas
- participate to all community projects
Of course, the Forum can be read without becoming a Forum Member, but to have the most complete experience as a WinReducerOS User you may consider to become an active member of the Forum Community.
If you decide to become a Forum Member, could you please read these website pages to have the most complete information :
Let's describe all Forum functionalitiess to help you understand how to use it !
PART 1 : The Forum Category Interface
1 - The Forum Category Navigation Bar : it displays the category or subcategory names, you are reading. It helps you to easily navigating in the Forum and also go back to the main category list.
2 - The Search Bar : it brings you an easy way to find a discussion with the answer you need. To use it, you just need to click in the search bar, then add your text and finally hit the "Enter" keyboard key.
==> Before creating a discussion, you must try to find an answer using the search bar in order to avoid multiple discussions on the same subject. This will help to keep the forum perfectly readable.
3 - The Category Options : if you click on the 3 dots icon, it shows you a category options menu to manage the forum categories (like "Follow" or "Unfollow") the categories : "Following" a category means that you are notified, by a forum notification and by email, in case new discussion answers are available in this category.
==> you are able to disable the email notification in your personal Member Area, to get more information about this option :
4 - The Subcategory Name : it shows you the list of all available subcategories, this improves the readability of the forum using a better organization of the forum discussions
5 - The Subcategory Information : it displays useful information about :
* the number of views
* the number of posts
6 - The Subcategory Option : you can choose to follow or unfollow this subcategory. If you want more information about this option, please check the "Category Options" in the Part 1 Section 3.
7 - The Sort By Option : you can choose to change how the posts list in this category is displayed :
* Recent Activity : All discussions are sorted by date according to the most recent posts in the discussions
* Newest : All discussions are sorted by date according to their creation date. It doesn't take care if there are new posts
* Most Comments : All discussions are sorted using the number of posts they have
* Most Viewed : All discussions are sorted using the number of times they have been read or viewed
* Most Liked : All discussions are sorted using the number of likes the first posts of a discussion have
8 - The Discussion Names : it represents the list of all discussions created in this category. Please respect the forum discussions title formatting described in every categories (only available in the category in which you can start a new discussion)
9 - The Discussion Status : this helps you easily know if a discussion is :
* Pinned : A discussion is pinned on top of the discussions list in order to provide a fast reading of important information or interesting information or any relevant information provided by the WinReducerOS Teams or Forum Users. The pinned status can be identified by the pin icon beside the name of the discussion.
* Closed : A discussion is considered as closed when you are not able to reply to a discussion. The closed status can be identified by the padlock icon beside the name of the discussion.
10 - The Discussion Creator Name : it shows the name of the forum member who created the discussion, eventually it also shows the badge of this member.
==> In the Forum, each time you see a forum member name or a member avatar, you can :
* leave your mouse cursor on the member name or the member avatar to display the forum member card, which displays many information about this member
* click on the member name to access to the profile page of this member
==> If you want more information about all Member Area options, please follow this link :
11 - The Discussion Information : it displays useful information about :
* the number of posts
* the number of likes
* the number of views
12 - The Discussion Recent Activity : it displays the date of the most recent post in this discussion.
* you can click on the date to be automatically redirected to the latest post
* you can click on the member avatar to display the member profile page
* you can leave your mouse cursor on the member avatar to display the forum member card
13 - The Discussion Options : if you click on the 3 dots icon, it shows you a discussion options menu to manage this forum discussion. The menu provides you these options :
* Follow post : this option is the same as the category follow already explained. If you want more information about this option, please check the "Category Options" in the Part 1 Section 3.
* Share Post : it provides you an easy discussion sharing link creator for Facebook, Twitter or a simple link to add in the forum or in an external website or forum
* Report Post : you can use this option to report a discussion which do not respect the Forum Rules (insult, too aggressive, spam, ...). All reports will be processed with a great attention, and the Forum Rules will be strictly applied.
14 - The Discussion Creation : this opens a dedicated forum page to create a discussion.
==> If you do not see the button to create a discussion, then this simply means that you are not allowed to create a discussion in this category.
==> All explanations of the discussion creation as well as all options, limitations or keyboard shortcuts are available in the Part 2 below.
PART 2 : The Forum Discussion Creation
1 - The Discussion Title : you must add a title to the first post of your discussion, otherwise it won't be created. The number of text characters are limited to 140.
==> Your title must respect the Forum Rules and the category discussion rules.
==> You need to choose a very efficient and precise text to shortly explain the discussion content. This is useful to help other user find your discussion and also to keep the WinReducerOS Forum as efficient as possible in the long term.
==> CAUTION : take care to choose the correct category to create your discussion in order to keep the WinReducerOS Forum as efficient as possible in the long term.
==> CAUTION : if you experience troubles to create a new discussion and you see a red banner informing you that you can't create a discussion. This is because you are using a forbidden word in order to prevent abuses or spams. If your title does not respect the Forum Rules, especially the rule number 2, your topic or your account will be deleted without warnings.
==> CAUTION : if you are a new Forum member and you have already created several discussions and posts, and you can't create a new discussion or post ... the reason is : you can't create more than 10 posts per days during your first week. This limitation can be modified (increase or decrease) at any moment without public information if there are abuses. After your first week as a member of the Forum, you will be able to create discussions or posts as much as you want.
2 - The Discussion Text : you can add the text you want to explain the reason why you create this discussion. And you are able to illustrate your text by using these options :
* code snippet
More options will be available in the future.
A complete description of these options is available below in the Part 2 Section 3.
==> Your text must respect the Forum Rules.
==> CAUTION : If you see some part of your text replaced by some asterisks ("*") after publishing your post, this is because you are using a forbidden word in order to prevent abuses or spams. If your title does not respect the Forum Rules, especially the rule number 2, your topic or your account will be deleted without warnings.
3.a - The Post Options : using these options, you can create very creative and efficient discussions to have more visits, more replies or more likes. These options are :
* photo : you can add your pictures or screenshots to visually explain what you want. Once your photo is added to your post, you will have access to more photo options if you click on your newly added photo. You can also use this option to add animated gifs to your post.
==> CAUTION : Please use as much as possible the JPEG format for your pictures or screenshots. Do not use PNG
* lines : you can choose the look and the size to separate some parts of your text or to create paragraphs
* code : if you want to have a light blue background for your text, in order to be much more visible for a paragraph title
* upload : you can upload and share your WinReducerOS Resources or Files directly inside the Forum, without using external upload website.
Your uploaded file must respect these rules :
- zip file only
- upload only WinReducer Resources
==> CAUTION : the size is limited to 1 Mb, this maximum size can be modified (increase, decrease or completely disable) at any moment without public information regarding the respect of these rules and in order to avoid abuses.
* emojis : you can add wonderful emojis from the entire list to improve the look and feel of your posts
3.b - The Post Options (hidden text bar) : it exists an hidden text bar with more options to improve and format your text. To activate it just select a part of your text (word, line or paragraph) and the text bar will be displayed automatically.
These options are :
* Bold Text
* Italic Text
* Underline Text
* Text color
* Title Text
* Quote Text
* Text Alignment
* Numbered List
* Bulleted Text
* Code Snippet
* Create a link
3.c - The Post Options (keyboard shortcuts) : you can also use some keyboard shortcuts such as :
* Bold Text : Ctrl + B
* Italic Text : Ctrl + I
* Underline Text : Ctrl + U
* Undo last action : Ctrl + Z
* Redo last action : Ctrl + Y
==> there are potentially more keyboard shortcuts available, so if you discover another one(s) please let me know using the Forum (Off-Topic category) and I will update this list.
4 - The Post Tags: you are able to add tags to your post and this is extremely simple.
* enter "#" in the text area
* type the text to use for your tag
==> After publishing your post, clicking on this tag, even in another post, displays all other posts using it !
5 - The Post Tags for Member : you are able to add tags for a member to your post and this is very simple.
* enter "@" in the text area
* enter the member's name, with no spaces (e.g. @winter), and select it from the list
==> After publishing your post, other readers who click on the tagged member are directed to their profile.
==> The tagged member receives a notification that they've been tagged.
6 - The Post Cancel Button : if you are not satisfied or do not want to validate the creation of your discussion post, just click on the cancel button and you will be prompt to confirm your decision (just confirm that you discard your post).
7 - The Post Publish Button : if you are satisfied by your post content and want to share it with the Forum Community, then just click on the publish button, and you will see it on top of the category discussion list.
==> if you want to edit your post or add a reply to an already created discussion, please read the Part 3 below.
PART 3 : The Forum Discussion Posts
1 - The Post Creator Name : this has been already explained in Part 1 Section 10
2 - The Post Creation Date : it shows the creation date of this post, and it also displays the date if a modification have been done in this post.
3 - The Post Status : this has been already explained in Part 1 Section 9
4 - The Post Options : this has been already explained in Part 1 Section 13
==> THE FORUM DISCUSSION REPLY
If you want to add a reply to an already created discussion, there is a really simple procedure.
Just go to the bottom of the discussion and you will see the fast reply interface. This works exactly as it has been described in Part 2 Sections 2, 3a, 3b, 3c, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
==> THE FORUM DISCUSSION POST EDITOR
If you want to modify the content of an already created post, there is a really simple procedure.
Just click on the 3 dots icon on the right of your post, then you see a menu with several useful options :
* Report Comment
* Edit Comment : you can easily modify the content of your post using this option. You can use all set of post options like mentioned in the Part 2 Sections 3a, 3b and 3c. Once your changes have been made, you are able to cancel or to publish your changes
* Delete Comment : use this if you want to definitively delete your post. A confirmation message will be displayed after choosing this option
==> CAUTION : you are not able to modify neither delete all posts you have not created. For the posts you haven't created you will see the options like mentioned in the Part 1 Section 13
==> THE FORUM DISCUSSION POST LIKES
If you like a post or a comment in a discussion, or even the discussion itself, you can use the likes button to show your point of view.
1 - The Likes Counter : just hit the heart icon to show you like this post or comment, then you will see your avatar.
==> if the heart has a red background color, this is because you already liked this post or comment.
2 - The Likes Member Avatar : this displays all first three members avatar you liked the post or the comment. If there are more than 3 likes, then a likes counter is displayed.
3 - The Likes Card List : if you click on the likes member avatar or the likes counter, then you see the likes card list of all members who liked this post or comment.
==> You can access to all members profile page using the same procedure as mentioned in the Part 1 Section 10.
Thank you very much for reading this tutorial !
bottom of page